Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I have never felt so broken: Eulogy for a shirt.


Dearly beloved, we are gathered here to say our goodbyes...
On this day, December 2010...a Tuesday...
It was the last time I laid eyes on my beloved "Make Love Not Horcruxes" T-shirt....
A gorgeous black shirt with white print...simple, elegant, and with an even more powerful message.

I remember when I first received my shirt. It was a gift from a friend, handmade, with iron ons. It was the best thing I have ever gotten. And to think someone would steal it from me, from a Brumby dryer. My heart breaks to think of someone else inside my shirt. My soul is tearing as I speak. I think I'm actually making horcruxes from grief!  To the thief, can I just say...try for some remorse.
 (AVADA KEDAVRA.)
This loss has shaken me quite literally to my core. I am a broken individual at the moment, drowning in the knowledge that I will never, ever see my precious shirt again. 

       Looking back, I wish I had spent more time in it. You never do realize just how much you love something until you no longer have it.The gentle 100% American Apparel cotton softness on my skin, the perfect not too box-y, not too tight fit, the way it made me discover lifelong friends...I wish I had taken at least a single picture wearing it. Unfortunately, and probably, fatefully, there are no photographs of me in my beloved precious shirt. No one will ever know that it existed, and one day, like all things that are lost, I may forget about it completely.  And maybe one day I'll remember it, like a flash of a thought, of something that once was, but is no longer, and it'll pass too quickly to matter, like the words that you can never quite find on the tip of your tongue...and just like that it'll stop existing. Because no one will ever remember that it existed. And life will barrel on like a runaway train...but as long as I can, I will always try and remember the good times I had in this shirt. Goodbye, Women's XS. May you rest in piece. 


Goodbye, Uzma's shirt,
Though I never wore you enough, 
....
And it seems to me you lived  your life like a candle in the wind...
Never knowing who to cling to, when the rain set in...
And I would have liked to wear you...
But I was just a kid...
You were kidnapped from me, 
I loved you more so much more
 than anyone else ever did...

No comments:

Post a Comment