Search This Blog

Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Mean Reds




Everyone always talks about this really big hawk they see in front of my dorm and I’ve never seen it. I’ve waited and  waited and waited, and this morning I saw it, and I immediately felt so sad. I have no idea why.
Then I thought, boy, isn’t that just typical? You wait and wait and wait for something, and then when it happens, you feel sad.

I just wanted to cry and I was wishing I was invisible. Outside, the wind was freezing and the hawk was circling, and I was infinitely sad, sad down to my bones. I was sad for  everyone else who was sad, and for all of the people who were too scared to follow their dreams, sad for the hawk, and sad for myself, for something I had lost. 

"Listen...you know those days when you get the mean reds?" --Holly.
"The mean reds? You mean like the blues?" --Fred (Paul).
"No... the blues are because you're getting fat or because it's been raining too long. You're just sad, that's all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid and you don't know what you're afraid of. Do you ever get that feeling?" --Holly.
"Sure." --Fred (Paul).
"When I get it the only thing that does any good is to jump into a cab and go to Tiffany's. Calms me down right away." --Holly.

No comments:

Post a Comment